[Geodata] Fwd: Re: inventory of public address data for geocoding in Europe

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Mar 15 06:58:29 PDT 2013

Andy,

Thanks for your response.

On 14/03/13 12:49, Andy Turner wrote:
> In the UK the Office For National Statistics (ONS) now release a
> postcode directory look up (ONSPD). This allows for postcodes to be
> located to a point in a projection and coordinate system. It also
> provides look ups to various administrative and census area. This
> data is released under the UK Open Government license and can
> currently be found via the following URL:
> http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/geography/products/postcode-directories/-nspp-/index.html

Thank you for the hint. If I understand correctly, the aim of the above
is to create a "spatial hierarchy" of units that allows to construct
data in larger units (output areas, administrative, health, etc) from
the postcodes.

Concerning coordinates for postcodes, the Code-Point Open data from the
Ordnance Survey provides those [1].

I'll have to check how the NSPL data at your above link compares to the
Code-Point Open data.

>  I think there is a consultation at the moment about releasing
> address point data under the same license in the UK.

This would be great !

Moritz

[1] http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/code-point-open/