[Geodata] LANDSAT-8 sample data of osgeo tutorials and workshops - further supplimentary data

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Sep 9 06:24:53 PDT 2013

>With the availability of LANDSAT-8 imagery now coming on line[1] it seems
a good time to make an accessible common sample
 >dataset available for everyone to play with and adapt+race their various
softwares against. More acutely for the OSGeo Live DVD we're
>looking for a modern multi- or hyper-spectral imagery standard dataset
that we can share between quickstarts. The newly online
>MERIS data[2] might be nice for that but the EU is not as gifting as the
US gov't wrt copyright redistribution issues (although this new
 >release is really encouraging!) and the MERIS ground resolution is 10x
coarser than that of LANDSAT.

>The obvious choice for a ground target is to continue with the Raleigh, NC
osgeo-edu landsat time-series[3], and on 2013-05-14 there >was a nice image
taken:
http://muck.otago.ac.nz/~hamish/osgeo/screenshots/LC80160352013134LGN03_rgb.jpg

>In the above link the red box is the bounds of the earlier imagery crop.
This time I propose that the earlier scenes were a bit small, and
>to increase the image size to 1000x1000 cells. Raleigh-Durham Airport is
present in the NW corner of the proposed new bounds for
>visual scale and human interest.
 I think adding the LANDSAT-8 data is a good idea and I take Hamish's point
about the need for coastal data.  I also started thinking about data for
mountainous areas.

Hamish's post also got me thinking about making more updated datasets
available for the same footprint as the NC  dataset.  There is 4 band
digital aerial imagery ( NAIP , USDA  summer 2012 , 1m resolution)  and 3
band  6 inch winter imagery ( State of NC 2010 ortho , possibly 4 band for
 Wake County), etc for the  Raleigh/ Wake County area.  There may also be
higher resolution Lidar data available in the future.

Of course, the more data you add, the bigger the download, or more space
needed on the live-demo iso image.

Would it be a good idea to have a "core" downloadable dataset  at
http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php and have a supplimentary download
link for other,  updated higher  resolution data sets for the same
footprint or other specific distinct geophysical environments?

Doug

--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS