[Ica-osgeo-labs] Winter School on "Open Source Development of Geospatial Technology"

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 03:15:55 PST 2013

Rajan, that is excellent to hear and congrats to you on the award. It is truly deserving recognition for you and your lab members for the excellent work you all are doing.

It is great to see Open Source GIS Summer and Winter schools now getting established in many regions around the world. In 2014, there will be in ISPRS-ICA Summer Camp in China , the 5th Summer School in Girona led by SIGTE http://www.sigte.udg.edu/summerschool2013/   (which is now growing in strength each year and is now grown as the main summer school in Europe for Open GIS) etc.

I am also pleased to hear that tomorrow (19th Dec) at AGSE 2013 at Ahmedabad, India   http://agse2013-cept.in/  is also the Inaugural launch event of ICA-OSGeo Lab at CEPT University. I congratulate Prof. Anjana Vyas and her team and wish them all success. Also thanks to Prof. Franz-Josef Behr who is the key person behind AGSE (Applied Geoinformatics for Society and Environment) series of conferences which is an interdisciplinary, international forum for sharing knowledge and expertise among the scientists, academia, researchers, professionals and industry about Geoinformatics with specific focus on its applications. These kinds of events also builds long term research collaborations. For example, Franz Josef's lab at Stuttgart University and Universities in India who are establishing OSGeo labs

http://www.hft-stuttgart.de/Studienbereiche/Vermessung/Master-Photogrammetry-Geoinformatics/Labs/ICA-OSGeo-Labor/index.html/en

I am sure there will be summer schools started in other key countries and regions (USA, Brazil, Canada etc ) in the near future to further provide opportunities to more students as well as provide opportunities for staff to meet and build new ideas for future research and teaching collaborations.