[Ica-osgeo-labs] ICA-OSGeo Labs telemeeting summary

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Sep 7 05:19:14 PDT 2013

Hi lab colleagues:
37 Labs -- fantastic! Thanks especially to Suchith for his leadersip
growing the network. Thanks also to Helena for this wiki work and Maria and
others on the Cost proposal.

Questions:

1) Is there anyone in our network who can implement a network web map using
open layers or leaflet?

2) With such an amazing network established, the next step is how to move
us forward as a group on the coordinated research and education fronts. The
EU COST activity is just the kind of thing we need. On the US side there's
been activity too. We had one grant around education activities *just miss*
getting funded and will be resubmitted. I'm contemplating another idea
currently...

3) Collaborative writing and new derivate testing:

I'd like to try out a very simple collaborative writing effort using the
system Luis has proposed. My idea is to develop some simple, short spatial
analysis "analytic puzzlers" that are conceptual (not technology specific)
that we could use in our classes. For instance, a puzzle about how to
analyze the shortest walking travel route between two points, or a puzzle
on how to calculate landcover change areas (e.g., agriculture to
development) using two different landcover layers (e.g., 2000, 2010). I'd
like to see if we can use Luis' proposed system (Github) for testing how
we'd share "educational source" and new versions of documents... Anyone
willing to help with "analytic puzzler" ideas?

I WISH I was going to be at FOSS4G this month. I'm sorry I won't be. But I
hope those who meet can brainstorm on how we can work together in new
research and teaching activities.

This is an awesome network!

Cheers,
Charlie

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Suchith Anand <
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,****
>
> ** **
>
> I have now updated the meeting minutes of our yesterday's teleconference
> at ****
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/ICA_OSGeo_Lab_Network_2013-09-05      ****
>
> Please check/modify anything I missed.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks to Luis for presenting his excellent work on OGC Schools for
> GitHub. Once Phil sends the recording of the url please do have a look at
> the presentation as it is really interesting work and we all can think of
> ideas for taking this forward.****
>
> ** **
>
> We will now go-ahead with the OpenGIS Webinar program starting with "OSGeo
> Live DVD for Education" and we will plan the webinar course structure for
> future webinars. I will be in contact with Eduardo on this. So please send
> me your ideas for topics for the webinar program.****
>
> ** **
>
> Unfortunately we don’t have any updates on the website which is a pity. I
> have put this as an urgent item on our agenda for our F2F meeting on 20th
> Sep at FOSS4G 2013. Thanks to Helena for building an excellent table for
> our network. It is pretty amazing so see the expanding list. I remember
> when we started the initiative one year back our aim was to setup 5 labs in
> 5 years! We now have 6 labs in the USA alone with 37 labs in total spread
> over the world. Thanks to all of you and great to see this. We will be
> having over 100 labs established worldwide this time next year and we need
> a good website in place to keep building the momentum. All ideas
> /suggestions welcome.****
>
> ** **
>
> Looking forward to seeing many of you at FOSS4G in just over a week's time
> at Nottingham****
>
> ** **
>
> Suchith****
>
> ** **

> error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do
> not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in
> any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this
> email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

> permitted by UK legislation.

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Department of Environmental Conservation - http://eco.umass.edu
Center for Public Policy and Administration - http://masspolicy.org
Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government - http://ncdg.org
Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart