[Ica-osgeo-labs] Pre-AAG Workshop on "Open GIS: New Opportunities for Research and Education, " April 7, 2014

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 03:14:28 PDT 2013

Thanks Helena.

For those of you who are new to our initiative please find attached a short article written by Helena and Charlie in  GIM International so you get the bigger picture.

We are also aiming for creating training materials for educators. It was with this aim that the ELOGeo initiative was launched in 2010. The aim was to provide a web-based infrastructure and database repository to support and encourage the educational transfer of knowledge and training. The focus is on the effective use of open geospatial services through sharing and co-production of methodologies, tools and educational curricula and materials. Current courses target the researchers, non-geospatial experts and general public who want to use open data, standards and tools. The framework can be accessed at http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk

OSGeo Live is central to our education efforts.  Our key aim is to make it possible for poor students  to be also able to get geospatial education (high cost proprietary GIS is the biggest limiting factor for widening geospatial education).  We also will be starting work on "Train the Trainer" GIS program for school teachers all over the world and looking forward to collaboration with all of you.

There are already some good examples on this from colleagues in our network  . We have been working with colleagues in gvSIG Batoví initiative in Uruguay (Especially with Sergio Lara in MTOP). We are now doing translation (Spanish-English) with the help of volunteers for the educational content translation and structuring for gvSIG Batoví initiative in Uruguay (will make it available through ELOGeo) , so that it benefits wider community worldwide. The aim of gvSIG Batoví is to develop a powerful educational tool that enables primary and secondary education students to understand space, to easily interpret maps and to learn free technologies as part of the wider CEIBAL Initiative  http://www.ceibal.org.uy/

More details are at

http://www.gvsig.org/web/home/projects/gvsig-educa

http://www.sensysmag.com/resources/toolbox/28182-gvsig-educa-offers-desktop-open-source-gis-for-education.html

The video link (with English translation) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN9K07XPo    is useful to get basic information on the wider CEIBAL initiative.

We have also now launched "Geo for All" Education mission . Our colleagues at the University of Southampton are now working on the website etc. You can get some idea of our work at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/

We are looking forward to strong participation from  universities worldwide for this initiative and we are keen to make sure that more universities  make use of opportunities in  Open Source Geospatial for their research and education.

To give you an example from South America,  our First ICA-OSGeo lab in Brazil was established just over a year back but in June 2013, Brazil colleagues organised the first meeting of the ICA-OSGeo Labs in Brazil  at São Paulo  and now we have many universities in Brazil joining us.

http://mundogeoconnect.com/2013/grade/encontros-paralelos/webinar-ica-osgeo-18-de-junho/

The slides in Portuguese are at http://www.mundogeoconnect.com/2013/arquivos/palestras/18_jun-a-silvana_camboim.pdf

Please join our mailling list at http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ica-osgeo-labs   so you can updated on the latest developments. We also have a monthly telemeeting , so please join that so we can plan future research collaborations. For example, earlier this week Prof. Maria Brovelli (Italy) led a COST bid submission with participation from universities in  8 different countries. We are hoping the bid will be successful, so we can expand our EU research collaborations.

I know in US, Helena, Phil, Charlie are working on NSF bid and with more US universities, there will be more momentum for building up research collaborations.

Horizon 2020 http://ec.europa.eu/research/horizon2020/index_en.cfm    is a good opportunity (the first call will be out in Jan 2014)  for building International research collaborations and it will be good to plan ideas for joint projects for this. Also it will be good if you all can attend our monthly telemeetings. It is a good opportunity to build ideas for future research collaborations. Last month's telemeeting summary at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/ICA_OSGeo_Lab_Network_2013-09-05

Serge, Dan - many thanks again for taking this initiative. Phil Davies has already confirmed that he will participate. We will have an overview presentation of the ICA-OSGeo Lab network at the event by one of our colleagues . Countrywise USA is now our biggest growth and i am confident that by the time of the workshop, we will have over 20 universities in USA as part of our network.

I am cciing Prof Georg Gartner (ICA President) who will also be happy to provide any support needed. We look forward to work with you.