[Ica-osgeo-labs] Update on RDA meetings and "Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science"

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 06:25:42 PDT 2014

Dear All,

I am pleased to inform that following the successful meetings in Dublin last week, I have now started process to establish a Geospatial IG for the Research Data Alliance and i am hoping this will be established and endorsed by the RDA in due course. This will help us put  Geospatial theme at the highest level for policy instruments and impact globally.

Research Data Alliance (RDA)  https://rd-alliance.org/     is a key strategic initiative of the European Commission, National Science Foundation (US) and the Australian Government  aiming to build  social and technical bridges that enable open sharing of data Cross-border & cross-disciplinary challenges.

Summary of Geospatial meeting at https://rd-alliance.org/bof-geospatial-information-meeting-rda3.html

I also presented on the Geo4All http://www.geoforall.org/   initiative and the BBSRC funded AgriGIS research that we are doing at Nottingham  for the Agriculture IG meeting. Details at  https://rd-alliance.org/reports-meeting-3rd-plenary-dublin.html

We also had productive meetings to take forward some of the  actions from  sustainable cities theme at RDA Dublin, following Australia-EC meetings last Nov in Canberra that I participated. Thanks to Chris Pettit and all our colleagues at the Open Source Geospatial Lab at University of Melbourne for their work on this.

http://ec.europa.eu/research/infrastructures/pdf/Third%20European%20Australian%20Workshop%20on%20Research%20Infrastructure%20Communique.pdf

I am also pleased to inform that we will be working with RDA for the "Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science" on 2nd  September 2014  (in parallel to OSGIS 2014) for bringing together colleagues from Open Access , Open Data and Open Education for building synergies and collaboration opportunities.  We will be organising a RDA Newcomer session at  this event for  welcoming more colleagues to RDA and build further build ideas for collaborations. More details of this will be announced soon at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/osgis/home.aspx     and we look forward to welcoming you for "Building up Open Access, Open Education and Open Data for Open Science".

Also some background on the wider Open Science developments

http://blog.okfn.org/2013/03/21/we-are-entering-an-era-of-open-science-says-eu-vp-neelie-kroes/

http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/ict/e-infrastructure/docs/open-infrastructure-for-open-science.pdf

PS: The deadline for abstracts for OSGIS 2014 is 22nd April 2014, and we are looking forward to seeing you at OSGIS for discussions and building future research collaborations

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.