[Ica-osgeo-labs] QGIS in education

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sun Feb 15 11:33:36 PST 2015

Dear OSGEO Folks,

This document by Akademia EduGIS of Poland is a beautiful piece of work!
"GIS at School: Guidebook for biology, geography, and science teachers."
http://www.edugis.pl/en/images/stories/guide/gis-at-school.pdf

GIS-User
It provides the kind of high level thinking that would greatly benefit any GIS course development.
Along with fully-fledged use cases for teachers to apply in the classroom.
This should be required reading for anyone building a GIS-user course.
I hope we can organize this GIS-user activity into an ^online^ library of GIS-user courses.
Using GIS tools is an important part of today's education,
for understanding the sweep of human history as well as life on this planet.

GIS-Tool-Builder
I am a former high school science teacher myself, 30 years ago,
and that is where I left my heart in terms of what this planet needs,
a world class education for all. Now I am in the business of trying
to improve the quality of ^open source^ GIS technology by providing
software engineers the virtual globe technology to ^build^ GIS tools.

GIS-Tool-Builder Professors
For those university professors, like Phil Davis and Maria Brovelli,
who build educational experiences for ^development^ of these tools,
how about a working group that allows us to share ideas and maximize our mutual efforts?
Anyone who would like to join this group, please feel free to step forward.

-Patrick
 650.604.5656 (office)
 650.269.2788 (cell)