[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics - first thoughts

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Sun Feb 22 16:00:34 PST 2015

Patrick, good points and i agree. We will use OSGeo wiki and OSGeo mailing list (both open to all and archived for future) for starting the new theme on Urban Science - City Analytics and all interested are welcome to join this.

Charlie - It will be good to have NASA's Worldwind as  foundational technology for the research network grant proposal that you are writing. I will be happy to provide any support needed.

Also for info, through the Research Data Alliance (RDA) we now have the opportunity to apply for RDA Data Share Fellow scheme. I understand that it is open to U.S.-based junior scholars from a diversity of backgrounds and RDA (US) expect to fund 10-15 fellows per year. This years fellows will start June 2015. If we want apply for this  by March 18, 2015.

This might be a good opportunity to think about Research Data sharing aspects of Urban Science and submit three different aspects of Urban Science research problems (and we can bring together three IGs - Geospatial, Big Data and Urban to support and mentor this). By the terms of the funding, Fellows must be affiliated with institutions in the United States, so only US colleagues can lead this though all of us can support you.

So i suggest if you can coordinate you with Xinyue Ye (Ohio , Kent-  who was the only one to confirm interest in this opportunity till now , but if any others want to join please let us know) to make use of this opportunity .

Chris will be chairing the RDA joint meeting of Geospatial & Big Data at San Diego on 9th March and https://rd-alliance.org/ig-geospatial-p5-joint-session.html
and we have dedicated some time to discuss and explore ideas for this.

I also understand now after discussions with the local organisers that they will be arranging tele meeting facilities for us , so those of you who wish to attend remotely can also join. I will inform details on this once i get more info.