[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics - NEW IDEA: IBM Partner

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Feb 25 06:09:29 PST 2015

Ok, *if we as a community want to try and go for an US NSF Research
Coordination Network (RCN) grant, I think this is the NSF program we should
target: **Geography and Spatial Sciences Program (GSS)*.

See [1].

It lists RCN as one of its funding streams. It's listed goals are here:

   - To promote scientific research in geography and the spatial sciences
   that advances theory and basic understanding and that addresses the
   challenges facing society.
   - To promote the integration of geographers and spatial scientists in
   interdisciplinary research.
   - To promote education and training of geographers and spatial
   scientists in order to enhance the capabilities of current and future
   generations of researchers.
   - To promote the development and use of scientific methods and tools for
   geographic research.

Does anyone on this list know any of the program officers listed in the
contacts of the link below [1]?

What I'd like to do is try and outline a draft letter to them sketching out
our RCN ideas and seeing if they would be interested in entertaining an RCN
proposal from us. If I take the lead on this and work on an outline (I have
time right now), can I solicit some help on some sections? I think I can
write about our network and bring in theoretical on the idea of global
"commons based peer production" networks, which is what we are. I can
sketch out the educational idea I have proposed related to flipped, service
learning, team based learning and blended learning with the network idea
and some kind of coordinated webinars, recorded lectures, etc. While I am a
public administration faculty with GIS and IT background, what I don't have
is experience on a set of core application areas or state of the art on
Urban Science/City Analytics. I'll need help on that.

*Are you all game if I forge ahead on trying to outline this?*

While I'm a big proponent of openness, I don't think we want to use a wiki
page for a grant proposal, though. *I'd need to know who wants to be
closely associated with this* (contact me off-line) and we try to use
Google Docs or something that can be more controlled.

Also, if anyone knows of another grant opportunity outside of the US that
we can use the same ideas or link, let me know.

Cheers,

Charlie

[1] http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=505034