[Ica-osgeo-labs] The LAS format, the ASPRS, and the “LAZ clone” by ESRI

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 27 09:47:49 PST 2015

Dear OSGEO,
For what our good name is worth. . .
Do we have an opinion on something so essential as an open standard for a data format?
Speak now, or forever hand over your wallet. Individual and collective response encouraged.

Can OSGEO provide a short position paper commenting on our values? I.e., “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all [data] are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these [is Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Openness].”

The LAS format, the ASPRS, and the “LAZ clone” by ESRI
http://rapidlasso.com/2015/02/22/lidar-las-asprs-esri-and-the-laz-clone/

[First paragraph]
We are concerned about ESRI’s next moves in forcing yet another proprietary format into wide-spread deployment. Forwarded emails, retold conversations, and personal experiences suggest that sneaky tactics<http://rapidlasso.com/2014/11/06/keeping-esri-honest/> are being used to disrupt the harmony in open LiDAR formats that we have enjoyed for many years.
[https://rapidlasso.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/laz_and_lazclone_small.jpg?w=792]

Thanks much,
-Patrick

Patrick.Hogan at nasa.gov<mailto:Patrick.Hogan at nasa.gov>