[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics - The Road Map Challenge

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Feb 28 02:39:42 PST 2015

Terrific all.

I'm in the process of developing a draft letter of inquiry to be sent to
NSF for a Research Coordination Network proposal. If you haven't yet, any
interested people/organizations, please add your name and affiliation to
the "Who in our Network..." section of the wiki [1].

I worry a little that the Urban Science\City Analytics might have too many
competing projects in this space already, but I think if we can focus on
some important research questions\areas (such as climate change
planning\resilience) AND a focus on how to build collective action (cross
sector, cross university) might provide some potential. Moreover, I think
the idea on the education side to collectively develop co-produced
"flipped" or blended learning materials, coupled with offering parallel
course where students build products or advance urban analytics using
universities or local towns/cities as service learning projects may be a
potential, unique selling point.

For instance, my colleague Sasha and I, had a student develop a web-based
campus tree inventory and management database (using ESRI products) as an
independent study [2]. This is just an example of what we can potentially
accomplish.

So I will continue drafting this letter, but I will need help on a section
about Urban Science/City Analytics.

Cheers all,

Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics