[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics - The Road Map Challenge

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Feb 28 02:45:12 PST 2015

Key to this is incentives to participation. I've worked a decade ago with
an Urban simulation modeling community and the challenge was that
contributions beyond their city (such as cross-city collaborations) was not
seen as something they should be doing.

There are examples of this though in some spaces, like Moodle or Sakai
development across universities, for example.

I'm focused on the grant getting side of what we are trying to do. From
that angle, what we will need is some letters of commitment. We also need
to focus on research and education needs rather than sell the creation of a
system -- which won't fly with NSF. (I realize this is just one avenue.
Perhaps we need to look, as a group, to some foundations. For instance city
analytics on public health? Disease vectors?

I hope these posts are helpful.

Cheers
CHarlie