[Ica-osgeo-labs] Urban Science - City Analytics

Julia Koschinsky jkoschin at asu.edu
Sat Feb 28 08:50:06 PST 2015

Re: Urban Science - City Analytics

Dear all,

To avoid creating parallel universes, I see an opportunity to connect the
geoanalytics research, methods and free and open source tools developed in
our different research venues with 1) the open data infrastructure that now
exists in many cities and with 2) the government and nonprofit challenges
that are already being posted.

For instance, many city agencies and nonprofits are struggling with how to
gain insights from the open data in platforms like Socrata and CKAN (see
http://plenar.io) as well as new urban sensor data that is coming online.
They often use commercial solutions like Palantir/Databridge, ESRI, MS to
make sense of the data but there's a disconnect with user-friendly free-and
open-source solutions (there's also a real need for more training on using
analytics in these tight-budget environments).

The civic tech and data4good communities (Code for America/Germany,
DataKind, TechMeet-Ups etc.) often have more municipal and nonprofit
challenges and use cases than they can address, e.g.
http://www.global.datafest.net/challenges or NYC's Town and Gown project
<http://www.nyc.gov/html/ddc/html/design/tg.shtml> or see the city
challenges of http://www.citymart.com or city-specific challenges in some
of the larger challenge platforms
https://entrepreneurship.asu.edu/innovation-challenge/,
https://www.innocentive.com/ar/challenge/browse

There's an opportunity to overcome this disconnect and make our algorithms,
analytic tools, and research relevant to these and related efforts by
interfacing with these infrastructures and communities. The growing number
of university programs in urban informatics around the country is already
starting to make these connections.
Best,
Julia

Julia Koschinsky, Ph.D.
Research Director, GeoDa Center for Geospatial Analysis and Computation
Associate Research Professor, School of Geographical Sciences and Urban
Planning
Arizona State University
julia.koschinsky at asu.edu
http://geodacenter.asu.edu