[Ica-osgeo-labs] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo's spending budget for 2015

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 00:09:09 PST 2015

Dear All,

Thank you all for your kind words but my answer will be the same. We should NOT use any of this fund for anything else than the main "Geo for All" purpose , so travel expenses for myself or anyone else is not the right way. I had been lucky and i am very grateful that in my initial years University of Nottingham kindly supported my travel for all OSGeo related events. In the last few years, i was also fortunate to be invited as keynote speaker at various events which helped cover my travel.

My humble suggestion is that this fund for "Geo for All" should be used only for our website and also used as seed fund to provide awards to students.

For example, we will be awarding the ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS Awards in Open Geospatial Science for the winner three teams of the NASA World Wind Europa Challenge at FOSS4G Europe 2015

In addition to the 1000 USD that we provide through OSGeo, i understand from Maria that we got  500 euro thanks to ICA and 500 euro thanks to ISPRS for this. So this helps us provide more opportunities for the best students  globally and bring more impact.

I am confident that we will get more support from other organisations to expand our funding to provide more awards for students in the future and let us all work together with that aim in mind.