[Ica-osgeo-labs] FW: Open Letter to ASPRS, Esri and OGC related to fragmentation of the LiDAR Open Format

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu May 14 06:41:29 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Charles Schweik <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>
wrote:

> GeoForAll colleagues who teach:
>
> In case it is useful, I wrote an open access teaching case on the
> importance of open standards you can find here [1]. It isn't about
> geospatial data, but it was a really interesting case on open data formats
> in word processing (.ODT and Word) between the US state of Massachusetts
> and Microsoft that might be useful for your classes.

Interesting document, I recommend reading it, although the political
relations described there might be quite confusing for the international
community.

> If anyone reads it and finds that I got anything wrong (I don't think I
> did) -- please let me know!

At the very beginning you say:

"This case more specifically also exposes the student to [...] open data,
open data standards (XML), the idea of systems interoperability..."

which suggests that open standard equals XML which is not true. Open
standard does not have to be XML and XML is not necessary an open standard
as OOXML case shows (another interesting reading on that topic is on Joinup
[1]).

Also the lesson/case would be stronger, in my opinion, if the title of the
PDF wouldn't be "Microsoft Word - 2013-6A-Case-SchweikMiller.docx".

Vaclav

[1]
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/elibrary/case/complex-singularity-versus-openness