[Ica-osgeo-labs] [Board] Reminder of meeting tomorrow

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu May 21 01:37:16 PDT 2015

Hi Massimilano,

As the existing chair of the OSGeo Education Committee, I'll chime on on
your last question:

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Suchith Anand <
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> - How Geo4All differentiates from the educational committee? Shall we
> consider that committee dead and replaced by Geo4All?

It's a good question I suppose, and I think we would be open to what the
Board thinks is the right direction.

In my view, GeoForAll and the OSGeo educational committee are currently the
same thing. Many if not all of the people on the education list that have
been active over the last 8 years are actively participating in our
GeoForAll effort. The energy has been shifted to the GeoForAll list,
largely, because of the growth of the associated lab network. I've turned
my attention to helping lead GeoForAll because that is where I was seeing
the activity. I've really never considered them different and the lab
network has increased our group's activity.

I think having two groups may be counter productive and I'm not sure what
the difference would be. I think the board should discuss this and perhaps
give us some advice from your perspective on whether it should remain two
groups or converge into one. But one thing is clear -- Education is a key
area that needs to remain in OSGeo's radar in one form or another.

Some of the others colleagues who know the history of the OSGeo education
(e.g., Helena, Maria, others) might want to provide their own feelings on
this question.

I hope this helps,

Charlie

P.S. While I've got you, I did, a while back, place a ticket request in to
fix this input form on the website:
https://www.osgeo.org/node/add/edu-content

This feeds this metadata educational inventory page:
http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content

Is it possible to get that fixed? In FOSS4G Como, we will be talking about
the educational content curation strategy, but until we decide that
longer-term strategy, it would be nice to have that input form functional
if it doesn't take too much work by the OSGeo web maintenance team. Thanks.