[Ica-osgeo-labs] "Geo4All - MapStory Challenge" - FOSS4G 2016 Student Competitions

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Oct 1 03:03:18 PDT 2015

Hi Maria,

As pointed out to me yesterday, this is not my decision.  I do want students to be recommended to use OSGeo projects (it is odd that I have to argue for this, for OSGeo's one conference a year, but I have other tasks need doing).

I am sorry to overstep my boundaries.

Talk soon,

-Jeff

On Oct 1, 2015 5:24 AM, Maria Antonia Brovelli wrote: > > Dear Dimitris, > I totally agree with your comments/questions. > > I have just an answer about FOSS4G Eu and NA: they are not related to OSGeo from the economic point of view. So, we didn't have money from OSGeo and we don't need to give money to OSGeo. That is the reason why you can decide, as I did, to have a low cost conference. > Said that, I want to underline that the most of the "volunteer" work at FOSS4G Europe was done by people working with me, who accepted to work for the conference in their working time (paid by me) and in their free time. There are some exceptions (like Nicolas Bozon, who did a lot of volunteer work for the excellent website and some chairs). Also here, for the sake of completeness, I paid the room of Nicolas for three days, when he was in Como. This is just for clarifying. > > Said that, in my opinion it will be a pity not to have in next edition NASA World Wind with us. > Patrick did a lot of work for advertising about the conference (and for the NASA WW Challenge organization as well). I imagine that the young students from Alaska will have, thanks to NASA WW,  FOSS4G (and OSGeo as well) in their heart for all their life. > > In any case, we are now discussing about 500 euro, this was the amount given by OSGeo. > So, this is the other aspect, that I find a bit weird: we are making dust for nothing. If ICA and ISPRS wanted to do the same (ask to use a ICA or ISPRS products), there would be no intersections. > So, everything is exagerated and I don't understand why. I repeat, for the sake of clarity, we are speaking of 500 euro. If i consider the time I'm spending for discussing this "case", it will be better for me to put this money from my pocket. > > What is unclear to me is this point: > - can we organize in the frame of next FOSS4G conferences challenges where students use FOSS4G products which are not OSGeo? > - which are the conditions? > > Going toward this direction: can we present in next FOSS4G conferences work based on products that are not OSGeo? > > I'm totally confused. I think that the Board has to clarify this aspect as soon as possible. > Shall I write the Board for asking? > Thanks and sorry for the lenght > Good day to everybody. > Maria > > > > ---------------------------------------------------- > Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli > Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor > Politecnico di Milano > > ISPRS WG IV/5 "Web and Cloud Based Geospatial Services and Applications"; OSGeo; ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS AB; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET > Sol Katz Award 2015 > > Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY) > Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321 > e-mail1: maria.brovelli at polimi.it > e-mail2: prorettrice at como.polimi.it > > > > > > ________________________________________ > Da: ica-osgeo-labs-bounces at lists.osgeo.org per conto di Dimitris Kotzinos > Inviato: giovedì 1 ottobre 2015 01.34 > A: ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org > Oggetto: Re: [Ica-osgeo-labs] "Geo4All - MapStory Challenge" - FOSS4G 2016      Student Competitions > > Hi Jeff, all > > before taking a final position on your - admittedly - strong note on the > Geo4All awards, I would like to ask some clarifications and offer some > comments hoping that this will facilitate the discussion and avoid > making it a conflict. Let me say first that I understand the reasoning > saying that an award funded by OSGEO, in the main OSGEO event, should > focus on OSGEO software. > So some requests for clarifications first: > - how do you see the award selection working: students are allowed to > submit when they are using at a 100% OSGEO projects? What happens when > for a specific student task an OSGEO project is not available? What > happens when the student add his/hers own source code to do something > (which could be in the form of a tool or an external library)? Do we > talk about full projects or also about non-OSGEO libraries used in > student projects? > Personally I would understand more a position that says that the > projects should use substantially (by this I mean playing a crucial role > in the project) at least one OSGEO project. > - I was confused by your answer to Gert-Jan: if the LOC has full > authority, then the instructions apply only to the Geo4All community? > - do you see this as a decision to be made by the OSGEO President or the > Board or by the Geo4All community, which in principle includes also > people not related to OSGEO (since it is a joint OSGEO/ISPRS/ICA initiative? > - why do you differentiate between the global and the regional FOSS4G? > Since now at the European and the NA FOSS4G are becoming equally big > with the international one (with their own limitations of course) I > cannot understand why you differentiate. At least from a Geo4All > perspective (but also from my perspective for OSGEO's future) I cannot > see the difference. > > Some comments, if anyone is interested: from my academic (and thus maybe > limited or biased) perspective this is not a good way to advance. I > always try to get students to use the best tool they have for the job, > with one of the most important factors of choosing the best to be its > openness both in terms of software license but also (if relevant) in > protocols/standards and data used. So for me it would be at least weird > to tell them (important to note that we are teaching these students) > that excellence and quality and openness come after the OSGEO brand. > Also I think that most (I would even go as far as to say that all) of > our projects are of top quality and if a student is looking for a tool > to implement a project idea then they will be his/hers first choice. > Imposing a purity restriction actually gives a message that we are not > so confident on that. > > Please take this as an effort to discuss this, as I said I understand > also the reasoning behind Jeff's message. I am not yet convinced that > these reasons supersede other principles and also provide more benefits > than the issues they raise. > My 2c and thanks for listening, > > Best regards, > Dimitris > _______________________________________________ > ica-osgeo-labs mailing list > ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org > http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ica-osgeo-labs > _______________________________________________ > ica-osgeo-labs mailing list > ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org > http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ica-osgeo-labs