[Ica-osgeo-labs] OpenStreetMapGeo Week #100mapathons

Tyler Radford tyler.radford at hotosm.org
Thu Oct 22 08:51:40 PDT 2015

Dear all,

November 15th is OSM Geo Week http://osmgeoweek.org/ and presents a great
opportunity for those in your university to come together and map to
prepare communities for the next disaster as part of the Missing Maps
project.

*The objective of Missing Maps is simple: to map the most vulnerable places
in the developing world so that local and international NGOs, communities
and individuals can use the maps and the data to better respond to crises
affecting the areas. *The project seeks to literally and figuratively put
people, and their communities, on the map.

Represent your university during OSM Geo Week anytime between November
15th-21st as we remotely map areas for projects by various NGOs working in
the most vulnerable places around the world. We’ll even send you some swag!

The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team and our Missing Maps partners would
really like to do GeoWeek in a huge way this year and get 100 mapping
parties, mapathons, mappy hours and mapternoons happening around the world.

Tasks are already being planned for Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Kenya,
Myanmar, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Africa to name a
few, and will directly support forthcoming Missing Maps efforts on the
ground. If this sounds like something you would be interested in
supporting, our team can provide you with all of the materials and remote
support needed to host a successful mapathon.

If you have ever thought it might be fun to get together with co-workers,
friends, students and/or strangers to share your enthusiasm for the power
of maps and make a difference while doing it, GeoWeek is the perfect time
to do it. Events can be any size, some mapathons were as small as 10 people
and as large as a 150 people. Anyone can do it and we have all the
materials to help you host your mapathon.

http://osmgeoweek.org/

*Tyler Radford*
Executive Director
email: tyler.radford at hotosm.org