[Geo4All] The Pledge – I support Open Principles for Science and Education for building a better world for everyone

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 05:31:15 PDT 2017

Hi Suchith,

I feel a little uncomfortable about signing a pledge for Open
Science/Education, even though I believe in the principles behind it.

For me, I feel OSGeo/Geo4All outreach can be better focused on practical
things.

A pledge is cheap. It is talk. I hold much greater value on seeing
action. Seeing people who write code, mentor communities, build and
maintain documentation, turn over builds, and so on. And I think you
will find people who are creating value by helping in practical ways
will gain much greater personal satisfaction than signing a pledge. So
I'd focus on working out ways to help people help others.

Warm regards, Cameron

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254