[Geo4All] How Footpaths become Roads

Munich Orientation Convention volksnav at volksnav.de
Tue Aug 28 03:21:18 PDT 2018

Hi Dan,

I'd suggest that you complement your book with the next step, a less academic but important matter:

"How roads gain addresses" 	or similar

Today, the steps are:

1 - the footpath becomes a city road

2 - after tenths of years of sometimes disgusting discussions, a majority decide about a street name or an officer decides about a street identity code etc.

3 - an officer decides about house numbers.
Footpaths can continue growing on both ends, so this step can take a very long time. In Nezahualcoyotl/Mexico City, some footpaths became 8km long streets but still don't have house numbers.

Some countries like Ivory Coast shorten this "best practice" with nice looking alternatives to lat/lon www.volksnav.de/alternatives , that means, the footpaths are ignored.

As you know, the Munich Orientation Convention proposes new information: codes for crossings, stations, stop points, bridges, tunnels etc. As proposed in Cameroon www.volksnav.cm etc., the modern house number is simply a crossing code plus the distance to the crossing. Footpaths can continue growing.

What about Uganda?

Henrique