[Geo4All] What is Openwashing? Is there any examples in GIS Vendors?

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 2 03:30:41 PDT 2018

Yes there is a good example for this. I think this could actually be THE
textbook example of open washing in GIS:

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/open-vision/overview

just my 2 cents ;)

Christian

Am 02.11.18 um 11:01 schrieb Suchith Anand:

> I came across this term OpenWashing at http://openwashing.org
>
> Openwashing: to spin a product or company as open, although it is not.
> Derived from 'greenwashing.'
>

> Openwashing: n., having an appearance of open-source and
> open-licensing for marketing purposes, while continuing proprietary
> practices.
>

> I am trying to understand the impact of this in GIS. Is there any
> examples of GIS Vendors using this OpenWashing?
>

> Best wishes,

> attachment.

> where permitted by law.

Dr. Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
http://www.sfb806.de
http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de