[Geo4All] What is Openwashing? Is there any examples in GIS Vendors?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:48:14 PDT 2018

I feel we are selling ourselves short if we are to dismiss ESRI's "Open
Vision" video as Open Washing without explanation.

If we want to call out OpenWashing, we need to spend time explaining it. Eg:

*
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2013/05/will-ogcs-standards-meet-government.html

*
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/open-source-devs-in-uproar-over-esri-las-lock-in-plans-402914

Note, I don't think proprietary is bad. Rather, "open" is better in some
situations. If a business community are not prepared to collectively
collaborate to build a software product, then the proprietary business
model turns out to be the most effective way to solve the problem. It
helps focus resources to address society's needs.

If we want more Open Source, we need to start at the root cause and
focus on improving collaboration in business.

On 2/11/18 9:30 pm, Christian Willmes wrote:

> Yes there is a good example for this. I think this could actually be
> THE textbook example of open washing in GIS:
>
> https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/open-vision/overview
>

> just my 2 cents ;)
>

> Christian
>

> Am 02.11.18 um 11:01 schrieb Suchith Anand:
>>
>> I came across this term OpenWashing at http://openwashing.org
>>
>> Openwashing: to spin a product or company as open, although it is
>> not. Derived from 'greenwashing.'
>>

>> Openwashing: n., having an appearance of open-source and
>> open-licensing for marketing purposes, while continuing proprietary
>> practices.
>>

>> I am trying to understand the impact of this in GIS. Is there any
>> examples of GIS Vendors using this OpenWashing?
>>

>> Best wishes,
>>

>> Suchith
>>
>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
>> and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
>> message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and
>> attachment.
>>
>> Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
>> necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email
>> communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored
>> where permitted by law.

> --
> Dr. Christian Willmes
> AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
> Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
> Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
> Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
> http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
> http://www.sfb806.de
> http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de