[Geo4All] g’day, and software carpentry

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 15:54:39 PDT 2018

Hi GeoForAll

I’ve been GeoForAll-curious for a long time, and finally made some effort
to attend the  GeoForAll discussion session at FOSS4G in Dar last week.

Firstly, what a great program! While I’m not employed in academia, I’m
happy to help in reaching out to academics that I do know; or developing
materials; or mentoring.

In the meeting there was much discussion about a catalogue of teaching
resources. I’m a software carpentry instructor (with not much experience
actually teaching yet) - and it struck me that the software carpentry
ecosystem may have some useful patterns to follow. I promised some reading
links - here they are:

https://software-carpentry.org (overall)
https://software-carpentry.org/lessons/ (base lessons - Python, shell, git,
etc)
https://datacarpentry.org/lessons/#geospatial-curriculum (geospatial stuff)

…and likewise, I think the software carpentry community will benefit hugely
from adapting materials from geo4all resources.

Apologies if I’m going over old ground here - it just struck me that there
may be benefits in the two communities being at least aware of each other.

I hope that’s useful!

Regards

Adam

--