[Geo4All] AI & Spatial Sustainable Finance seminar series!

Nataliya Tkachenko nataliya.tkachenko at smithschool.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 02:50:42 PST 2020

Dear Geo4All Community,
Please see the invite below and try to attend! Looking forward to seeing some of you there.
Please circulate.
_______________

Dear Colleague,

We are delighted to invite you to the first seminar in our new seminar series organised by the Sustainable Finance Theme at The Alan Turing Institute.

The first AI for Sustainable Finance seminar will take place at the Enigma Room in The Alan Turing Institute (British Library, 96 Euston Rd, London NW1 2DB) on Thursday 19th March, from 11am-1pm, with a sandwich lunch provided. Please RSVP as places are limited!

The agenda for the seminar (and future seminars) will be roughly as follows:

11:00-11:30 Updates from across the group
11:30-12:30 Presentation and Q&A
12:30-13:00 Lunch and Networking

The main purpose of the series is to identify and discuss how data science and AI can contribute to sustainable finance as an emerging interdisciplinary field of research and practice. We will bring together academic researchers from across different disciplines, together with practitioners, to explore the following challenges:

  *   Deploy data science techniques to new and existing datasets, including alternative data, to support financial institutions and financial regulators in the transition to global environmental sustainability
  *   Measure and track environment-related risks and impacts facing companies and investor portfolios
  *   Mainstream the use of geospatial data and analysis, particularly asset-level data, relevant to financial decision-making
  *   Analyse the performance of (un)sustainable investments in different asset classes using novel datasets
  *   Harness new technologies, including distributed ledgers and smart contracts, to enable the efficient deployment of capital into sustainable investments across different asset classes, sectors, and geographies
  *   Ensure greater data quality, consistency, and comparability, including through better data assurance and new data standards

The first seminar presentation will be given byLucas Kruitwagen, a DPhil student at the University of Oxford. Details below:

Remote Sensing & Computer Vision: Localising Energy Transitions

Understanding the spatially-embedded energy system is necessary to manage generation intermittency, to mitigate climate risks and associated social impacts, and to target optimal policy interventions. Remote sensing and computer vision offers a novel method for localising energy infrastructure agnostic to company and country reporting. Using a longitudinal corpus of remote sensing imagery and machine learning we provide a globally-exhaustive inventory of utility-scale solar PV generating stations, complete with installation dates for facilities built after June 2016. We also present ongoing research in the development of a self-supervised sensor-fusion model for general-purpose semantic embedding of remote sensing imagery.

If you would like to give a research presentation at future seminars, please email us your suggestions.

Feel free to share this invitation with your colleagues. We look forward to seeing you on the 19th March!

___________________

Dr Nataliya Tkachenko

AI & Data Science Lead, Oxford Sustainable Finance Program

Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment

University of Oxford

http://www.smithschool.ox.ac.uk/research/sustainable-finance/

Visiting Researcher

Finance and Economics Theme