[Geo4All] Universities UK campaign supporting first generation students

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 14:22:29 PDT 2024

Dear colleagues

I would like to thank Universities UK for launching the campaign supporting first generation students. First generation students are more likely to be from low-income backgrounds.

It is a great idea to launch the campaign, celebrating the stories and achievements of students who were the first in their family to go to university.

Details at https://100faces.universitiesuk.ac.uk/

https://100faces.universitiesuk.ac.uk/supporting-first-gen-students

I have been working and championing over a decade to provide more full scholarships in UK universities for UK students from economically poor families and first generation students (first in family to go to university) in the UK.

I humbly request the UK government to share a clear action plan for ensuring the right to quality education opportunities for the 4.2 million children currently living in poverty in the UK. Access to quality education opportunities is a human right. There is a need for focused policies at the UK Government level about equitable education with a binding on Universities and the Higher Education Institutes to comply.

Child poverty, education and the postcode lottery

https://www.transformingsociety.co.uk/2020/08/19/child-poverty-education-and-the-postcode-lottery/

I request the UK Government and all UK universities to provide more full scholarships for students from economically poor families and first generation students (first in family to go to University)  in all UK universities.

Access to quality education opportunities is key for getting rid of poverty and enabling broadly shared prosperity for all.

Best wishes

Suchith

I would like to thank UNESCO for the successful organisation of the Global Edition of the Master Class against Racism and Discriminations 2024.

I learned a lot listening to all speakers and participants. I thank the organisers for webcasting the event and making the recordings available for the benefit of all.

https://council.science/current/blog/no-problem-is-too-big-combating-discrimination-in-geospatial-science/