[Geo4All] Open Letter requesting the UK Government, UKRI and UK universities to work together on a UK Space Science Education Plan

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 05:52:17 PST 2024

Dear colleagues,

Congratulations to Japan on becoming the fifth country to soft-land a spacecraft on the Moon. Japan’s successful Moon landing was the most precise ever. Details at https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00151-3

Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and  Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) are partnering for the Lunar Polar Exploration Mission (LUPEX), which aims to explore the lunar polar region for potential sustainable activities and water-ice resources. The mission will involve a rover developed by JAXA and a lander developed by ISRO, along with instruments from NASA and ESA. The LUPEX mission is scheduled for launch in 2025 and will include instruments proposed by India's Physical Research Laboratory to measure the lunar surface and subsurface.

Details at

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/science/isros-next-moon-mission-in-collaboration-with-japanese-space-agency-gathers-steam/articleshow/102943227.cms

https://www.space.com/japan-india-2025-moon-mission-lunar-south-pole

I request the UK Government, UKRI and UK universities to work together on a UK Space Science Education Plan to rapidly expand Space Science research and education in the UK. I request UK universities to provide full scholarships for UK students from economically poor families and first generation students (first in family to go to University) studying  Earth Observation, geospatial science, data science, geography, environmental science, climate science and space science courses in all UK universities. This is key to build Space Sector Skills for delivering a skilled, diverse, and sustainable space sector workforce.

This article in the Guardian on “Disadvantaged parents in England and Wales rule out Stem jobs for children, charity says” might be of interest

Disadvantaged parents rule out careers in science, technology, engineering and maths for their children because they think those jobs are “already stitched up”, according to a leading education charity. More than half of parents (51%) from a lower socioeconomic background, who took part in a survey by Teach First, said they believed their children were unlikely to go on to a career in Stem.

Details at https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/23/disadvantaged-parents-england-wales-rule-out-stem-jobs-for-children-charity-says<https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/23/disadvantaged-parents-england-wales-rule-out-stem-jobs-for-children-charity-says#:~:text=Disadvantaged%20parents%20rule%20out%20careers,to%20a%20leading%20education%20charity.>

My Open Letter requesting the UK Government, UKRI and UK universities to work together on a UK Space Science Education Plan is at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?A2=OPENEDSIG;70379317.2401

Best wishes

Suchith