[geomoose-psc] Timely article about rewriting a JavaScript application

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:20:06 PDT 2016

Another item as we are thinking about how we want to architect GeoMoose 3:

Compiling, Debugging and (unit) tests of the JavaScript.

The current Dojo build process makes it nearly impossible to tell what line
of code caused an error.  Some errors only show in the compiled code and
not the _dev version and require a 30 second rebuild lengthy browser reload
to test even the smallest changes.  Reloading the _dev version skips the
rebuild, but takes even longer.

Also nice would be something that starts a mini-web server that will watch
for file changes and auto-rebuild, and a make-like build system that only
rebuilds what changed rather than always rebuilding the whole project.

I know some of this comes for free with newer versions of the libraries,
some with enabling sourcemaps, etc.  But it would be very helpful for me as
a developer and probably for others approaching the project if these
aspects of the development cycle were a lot smoother.