[geomoose-psc] Documentation updates for GitHub and Trac

Brian Fischer bfischer at houstoneng.com
Thu Apr 14 09:59:47 PDT 2016

Eli,
I’m just getting into testing on my Windows 7 machine now and starting from the beginning.  I don’t have time to get into learning how to update the docs directly in the code repository but here are some notes if you plan to update any of this documentation.  This was all the further I got on testing this week but in general seems solid to release.  The only thing that might be considered a bug would be the popups but maybe that is supposed to be how it works.  Great work all!

Installation and Documentation Comments:

-          I noticed the Getting Started Guide and How to Run Trunk both reference older versions of MS4W and GeoMoose.  It should be updated to say MS4W 3.1.3.  Should we drop the documentation for older versions and IIS?  Not sure anyone has the resources to go back and re-write those instructions.

-          When you go to the MS4W website it is unclear if a user should download the .zip file or run the installer.  Should we be making a recommendation?  I choose the installer to give it a try.  After I ran the installer it installed the Apache web service but would not start the service.  After figuring out there was other software running on port 80 I was able to switch it to another port.  You also have to go back and run as an Administrator.  For this reason I think we should instruct users not to use the installer and use the zip.  Make sure they don’t have something running on port 80 and run as administrator.

-          I also noticed the MS4W website has a GeoMoose package for 2.8.1 that you can optionally install.  This might get confusing if Jeff doesn’t update this each time a new GeoMoose version gets released.  Documentation should probably make a recommendation on whether to install the package.

-          I then downloaded GeoMoose for MS4W nightly.  I noticed the package still says 2.8 on the MS4W launch web page.  Should this be changed to say nightly so it is clear which version you are running?
From here I had a working Demo from nightly.

Demo Comments (mostly subjective):

-          Would there be an easy way to update the footer to say nightly instead of the previous version release?

-          When I did a Search Parcels and used the value of Chambers.  It returned 3 records but the parcel features did not highlight on the map.  Is this supposed to work that way?

-          When I used the Print to PDF tool the layout generated but the Map was blank.  Seems to work fine on the website demo URL though.  Must be a local configuration issue.

-          The circle icon with the checkbox in it is confusing to me as a user.  It says Activate but when you click on it there is not action.  Seems like this could be removed unless it is meant to change the state of the tools.

-          Popups seem to stick every time you move your mouse instead of going away.  See screen capture.  It happens for me on both IE11 and Chrome.  The popup seems to stick even without a click if you pause your mouse movement for a couple of seconds. If you move right away then it disappears.
[cid:image001.png at 01D19644.1E8E7490]

Brian Fischer
Vice President, GIS Project Manager
Houston Engineering, Inc.
O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734