[geomoose-psc] GeoMoose copyright

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Jan 12 14:00:49 PST 2017

Taking this over to the PSC list (with Jeff in cc)

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> It might also be a good time to update the LICENSE.txt file, to include the
> changes since OSGeo incubation (see example inside
> https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/branch-7-0/README).  So it could
> be updated to:

If this discussion is about any subprojects, then the license file
should correctly be reflecting the subproject license at that point in
time of inclusion.

>   Copyright (c) 2013-2017 Open Source Geospatial Foundation
>   Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Dan "Ducky" Little & GeoMOOSE.org

If this is about the copyright of GeooMoose, then any changes from our
established procedure need to go through the PSC.

I don't think that copyright assignment to OSGeo is a requirement of
incubation or OSGeo projects
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_FAQ, see also projects like
OpenLayers, GDAL, etc).

My understanding of our current practice is that each author retains
copyright and marks that in the header of any file that they create or
substantially contribute to.  Minor contributions may not be
substantial enough to do anything at all or other minor contributions
may be placed in the public domain and the project (and anyone else)
is free to use those.

Should we add this topic to our next PSC meeting?

Best regards, Eli