[geomoose-psc] dist contents in Releases

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:07:55 PDT 2020

I'm not sure what you are asking.  All of the packages/releases have the
dist directory already.

If they have no intention of debugging, etc and just want to get on with
it, they can download and extract from gm3-examples-3.6.2.zip (and
gm3-demo-data-3.6.0.zip if they are interested in that, it is separate
because it has little use to production users).  Or they can install with
'npm install geomoose/gm3' or they can download gm3-npm-3.6.2.zip and
extract it manually.

If they want to upgrade, they can replace their existing geomoose folder
with a newer one from one of the above sources (which is where using npm
can make life easier).  And then merge in whatever new features they might
want into their app.js/mapbook/index.html (or however they have organised
equivalents in their implementation).  The main idea here is (following
symver) replacing the geomoose folder with a newer version should not break
their implementation (until, by definition, GeoMoose 4).  This is meant to
isolate "geomoose" files from "their" files so upgrades don't overwrite
"their" files (a problem that was common in GeoMoose 2).  But this doesn't
mean they will get all the new features without changes to "their" files.

My understanding is the status quo is as you are asking for.  We ship a
dist directory.  All they need is unzip and a webserver that can serve
static files (if they restrict to using external data services/GeoJSON*).
They can use npm install and benefit from npm package manger (and not have
to build GeoMoose) - which may be ideal if GeoMoose is just part of a
larger site, or they can use git and use npm to build GeoMoose.

The only place that doesn't have a dist directory is the git repository
because it is bad practice to keep build artifacts in the git repo (they
can get out of sync and not match the source code, they can mask build
system issues, they are redundant, they clutter diffs and logs, they make
merges/PRs nearly impossible as almost any two changes will cause a
conflict).

* Also keep in mind GeoMoose is built on OGC standards because we don't
expect that GeoMoose will be the only application that needs to access the
data.  The data should generally be managed separately as standard OGC
services usable by many client applications (and need not be only
MapSever).  gm3-demo-data exists solely so we have something concrete to
test and demo.