[geomoose-psc] Examples / Demos / Mulitple Mapbooks

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Sat May 22 08:35:49 PDT 2021

I think we have hit a critical mass of needing *four* Desktop demos:

1. Editing - The two mapbooks below should be identical but for their
target server. I am in favor of having these be a more limited workflow
that shows how editing works in a practical way.
  A. Based on GeoServer.
  B. Based on PostGIS.
2. "The Desktop Demo" a la the status quo. The demo that people will "Copy
Pasta" and turn into their deployed Website. Drop all the scary warning
messages, ensure our comments are up to date, and that we remove the "Test
code". We attempt to show a reasonable set of data types that people would
find around in a "typical" County/City/Division website.
3. "The testing mapbook":
 - This can have the same layers configured in different ways (WFS, WMS)
 - "Test grids" - So we can test scaling and printing issues.
 - Can include stuff that is intentionally broken to test error handling.
 - I feel we can add stuff with a <exp:> prefix to denote some experimental
stuff we could point users to but not feel the need to adopt and support
long term.

Does this seem like a lot? Sure. Maybe? Why I don't think it is:
1. The editing workflow is pretty dedicated and I feel Brent has put some
real time into making sure it is well tested. I feel like that will
continue and we have historically had good stakeholders for that
functionality.
2. The "Desktop demo" will be a subset of the functionality that starts in
the testing mapbook.
3. I find it harder to comment, uncomment, and generally futz around with
the "Desktop demo" all the time to make sure it looks okay AND that we have
all of the needed functionality ready to test. While, yes, additional
unit-testing will help it is very hard to beat a real-world end-to-end
test.

I may take an initial swipe at this when I do the multiple mapbooks support
but drafting an official RFC may be prudent here.

Thanks for reading!