[Geomoose-users] Installation Instructions for GeoMoose 1.4 onUnixServer

Jim Klassen Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jul 14 11:08:12 EDT 2008

John,

GeoMoose itself is fairly simple to install on Linux because all it really needs is a webserver that can serve static files. This will get you the basic interface and the ability to view WMS layers. If you want to get into serving your own data you will need mapserver installed and if you want to do things like searches and printing to pdf from the map you will need PHP  and mapserver w/PHP mapscript installed.. or rewrite the example PHP scripts in your language of choice. Also, I know the .map configuration files for the example datasets make some assumptions about where the data installed (a.k.a under \ms4w) which would obviously need to be updated to work correctly under Linux.

I haven't done this recently with a stock GeoMoose to give a real detailed answer (the version we are running at the City is highly customized in terms of how the services are configured.)

In general, you will need Apache, PHP, Mapserver and their dependencies installed. I know there are a couple of pre-compiled packages people have put together for Linux, however I am unfamiliar with them because I have always started from the source code.

After that, you can extract the geomoose distribution into some place apache can find it, making sure the php scripts are executable as cgi. >From there, the differences amount to making sure the paths in the configuration files for mapserver, the php services, and Geomoose are using the correct paths. (/ instead of \, correct paths, etc.)

I know this isn't a detailed step by step guide, but hopefully it is enough to get you started in the right direction.

Jim Klassen
City of St. Paul

>>> "Fischer, Brian" <bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com> 07/11/08 11:33 PM >>>
John,

I am not a Unix user, so I am not much help here.  Hopefully Jim, Bob or
Dan can help.  I don't believe anyone ever created directions for
Unix/Linux/Mac, but they would be good to put on the site.

-Brian