[Geomoose-users] multiple layer selection

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Mar 14 14:31:41 EDT 2008

Brian,

It was materializing in my mind the same way.  I was wondering if both the Drop down, and a Tabbed method of display could be could be implemented.  I think it just amounts to abstracting the view of the Visible catalog via a filter of some sort for choosing, so the same underlying request code that is present still works, it's just the options for display that are added to.  It also seems like it abstracts things related to selects a bit better as well.

The dynamic Jump-To menu as a feature has me worried as an idea.   While I think this could be implemented as a service, rather easily, there will be problems with how to handle display thresholding and such related to sending down a list that is simply too big for the browser.   You could even make this work with MapServer CGI only by sending the right extents to the server and using the appropriate Jump-To template for the output.  My biggest problem with it is that there is no easy way to manage/limit the results that MapServer sends back to the Jump-To list.  I often thought there should be a companion tool with the GeoMoose distribution, that could generate a Jump-To Drop down list from any SHP file, possibly even adding in some form of filtering as well.   I'm not sure that a generic (and redistributable) version would be a good idea, but I can see ways of implementing it.

bobb

>>> "Fischer, Brian" <bfischer at houstonengineeringinc.com> wrote:
Bob,
I agree with this.  Although instead of having a seperate tab for the selectable layers I was thinking if a layer was listed in the selection service to be selectable then it would appear in a drop down menu called "Active Layer" right below the "Zoom To" menu.  The same thing could be done with the popup service, if a layer was listed to have popups it would be listed in a "Popup Layer" drop down menu.  The idea is you can only have one layer active (selectable at a time) and one layer that has popups on at at time.  I think this would be much more intuitive for the end user.  These layers would always remain active on any navigate command until the user changed them in the drop down menu.  That way you could set the most popular layer as the default and then they wouldn't even have to change anything on start up and could start using the popups or select tool right away.  If no the application is not using any popups or select service then these drop down menus would not appear on the interface.  I through this out as an idea to Dan last week, but haven't got his reaction yet on the level of effort to make this happen.  What do others think about this idea?  I'm mainly thinking about simplying it as much as possible for the end users.

In particular I'm thinking this makes a lot of sense for Counties and cities that primarily deal with people using the parcel layer.  This still would not address Lee's needs for a dynamic "Jump To" menu, but is along the same lines.  Just some thoughts on my end and what I am hearing from my clients.

-Brian

Brian Fischer
Houston Engineering, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN