[Geomoose-users] Add and update features

Michael Reynolds Mike.Reynolds at dot.state.mn.us
Tue Nov 11 13:50:18 EST 2008

Thinking and typing...  I'm trying to provide a phone or issue log web app for a couple managers.  They would like the ability to pushpin a location and attach a description, priority, technician values.

With geomoose, I could rely on the identify tool to get an x,y of layer A and put it to the identify tab.  The identify template for identify layer A would assemble a form with text inputs that the user could then type in attribute values for point x,y.  A submit button would pass all values and x,y to a an ogr_update.php that would add that feature point and attribute values to a shapefile (or other db type).

If mysql or postgregis were inplace, instead of ogr_update.php couldn't an sql_update.php be used that connects to the database and adds a record/feature via an sql string?

(and i'm bettin this has all been done before ...)

Of course, user identity and access rights would need to be checked to see if an add/update form would even be shown.

How far off am I?  Any tips?  Examples?

Thanks in advance.

Michael J. Reynolds
Traffic Engineering - Data Management