[Geomoose-users] hillshade in GEOMOOSE

Brian Welch Brian.Welch at CI.NORTHFIELD.MN.US
Wed Apr 15 11:31:55 EDT 2009

Jay,

I created a hillshade layer with ArcMap Spatial Analyst and exported the layer to a JPG with a JGW world file.  I then did the same with the DEM elevation layer.  The JPG files retain the color ramps that you assign to each layer in ArcMap.  Note that you want to export the raster file, not save the map as a JPG.  Exporting the raster gives you the JGW world file for spatial reference, saving the entire map to a JPG does not (although you could create one from the extent & projection values of your map in ArcMap).

To put the hillshade and DEM JPG files into GeoMoose I simply call the JPG files in individual map files and set the IMAGETYPE to JPEG.  In the XML file I place the call to the DEM map file above the call to the hillshade and set the DEM layer opacity to 33 (percent).  I decided that I wanted the layers to appear individually in the map layers (therefore separate map files and entries in the XML file) so that the hillshade would be available as a background for other map layers even if the DEM was turned off.  Users can manually change the opacity of the DEM layer if they desire.  Note that by placing the hillshade and DEM below all other layers it can serve as an interesting enhancement to aerial photos, drainage maps, etc.  Users often decrease the opacity of aerial photos over the hillshade to emphasize the topography.

Brian Welch
City of Northfield, MN