[Geomoose-users] [Geomoose-developers] Internet/Proxy?

Jim Klassen Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jul 8 14:03:41 EDT 2009

You asked a rather open and potentially loaded question here, so I'll start a brief answer, but a lot of it depends on your circumstances.

You need access to a machine that has access to the internet hopefully with a static ip and registered in a DNS somewhere. I doesn't really matter if it is your own, fully hosted, or a hosted virtual machine image, but each has advantages and trade offs.

You will need that machine to have a web server and mapserver and probably php installed on it.

For data security you will need to setup access control via your web server to only allow requests from the right people to go to the right files.

Optionally, the machine can be behind a firewall and/or proxy to help protect it from the internet at large, although you will at a minimum have the attack surface of the web server exposed.

How all of this is done depends on your choices of hosting, operating system and web server. Presumably, if you get it hosted somewhere some to all of this will be done for you.

Jim K

>>> Jay Kapalczynski <jkapalczynski at ci.maple-grove.mn.us> 07/08/09 9:23 AM >>>
I have a few questions regarding my GeoMoose application and Other Web Apps I have....and what I need/should do to get it out to the internet.
My main concern is getting the app out to the internet and making sure the data is secure.  I am very new to this and would be most appreciative of any feedback and direction to help figure this out.

I assume I need to find a host, or build the system where I host it (figure that would be expensive)
I have heard about firewalls and proxys etc....but need a bit more help and direction.

Can Anyone briefly outline what I need if I get it hosted vs what I would need if I hosted myself....

Thanks