[Geomoose-users] Why GeoMoose? (and article request)

Richard Marsden richard at winwaed.com
Mon Jul 13 16:22:36 EDT 2009

Hello!

I own/operate the GeoWebGuru site at http://www.geowebguru.com

Over the past few months, I've been writing a series of introductory
"Technical Overview" articles for a whole series of different online
mapping technologies and products. I would like to write or publish one
for GeoMoose.

First, I am trying to understand what the point is. Sorry if that makes
me sound like a troll - I am not!
For example, why would someone use GeoMoose and not OpenLayers (say)?
OpenLayers also supports lots of layers and works well with MapServer.
The best I've come up with is that it is possible to produce a working
map with controls that is controlled by an XML file and not Javascript.
Layers are easily added by simply adding an entry to the XML , whilst
OpenLayers requires Javascript to be written.
GeoMoose also has a richer set of default controls.
Would that be a good summary?

GeoMoose appears to be most popular with local governments in Minnesota!
I guess the Minnesota concentration is for historical reasons.
Would I be right in thinking that the popularity with local government
popularity is due to the feature set?  ie. Local governments like to
plot lots of local data. Many layers, each from different owners or
departments? Each dataset needs to be made publically available but in
the most cost effective manner?

Although I'm prepared to write this article myself, I would be
interested if someone from the GeoMoose community was interested in
writing something instead. They are more likely to get it right and
understand why GeoMoose is worth looking at. A previously published
article is fine (as long as it has suitable permission for
re-publication). At the moment I am only looking for an overview, but
would also welcome articles at all levels of technical ability.

Best regards,

Richard

--
Richard Marsden