[Geomoose-users] Experiences with GeoMoose

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Apr 28 14:34:48 EDT 2010

Eli,

I'm copying the GeoMoose list here too . . .

I would suggest setting up things initially based on the GeoMoose demo.  It will give you a good idea about the parts involved, and also provide information about some of the options available.  Since both the MapBook and the Mapfile can have pathing information about where a particular layer resources are queried from, this provides a very flexible method for organizing things on the back end.  We use a hiearchial system here at the City, that has proven itself, but it may be over kill for your particular install, or maybe it's not detailed enough.  There is no "Right" way to organize things.  This is one of those things that is realy hard to relate to new comers to GeoMoose.  The flexibility with regard to catalog setups.

There is no administration interface, although I have thought about this on a few occasions.  Haven't required it much to date either.  I think the idea of it is good, but until there is something already built around the idea, it's hard to get funded project resource to implement something like this.  So it's relegated to a speculative project at the moment, with no available sponsor to implement.   There are also two major pieces to this, one systems related, and one data related, so it's possible it will end up as two different components if either ever get built.  GeoMoose on the other hand, is set up very well to handle this type of integration, so that's a plus.

I'll send Consultants list separately . . .

I don't know who started the entry on Ohloh, it's wasn't me though.

The User and Developer lists are the best resources for questions about GeoMoose. http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=160935 ( http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=160935 )

bobb

>>> "Eli Adam" <EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:

Bob,
     Thanks for your time today.  Since chatting, I thought of a few more questions.

You said that datasets CAN be abstracted for individual data maintenance management separate from interface management.  While setting GeoMoose up, is it likely that we would set it up this way, or does it take extra awareness and forethought to set it up this way?  It sounds like it could be one of those things with good ways and bad ways and I would prefer to do it the good way.   What is the general method?

Is there an administration interface that might make non-technical people feel more comfortable?

Could you send me contact info for supporting consultants/companies?  Any that you have worked with?

Has the PSC considered putting more details and the code repository on ohloh?  http://www.ohloh.net/p/geomoose  I find ohloh a good tool for evaluating Open Source software projects.  It also helps folks find the project.

Is there anyone else that I should contact for additional details about GeoMoose?

Thanks a bunch, Eli

>>> "Bob Basques" <Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> 4/27/2010 10:43 AM >>>
Eli,

What types of experiences were you looking for?

Depending on your uses there are different ways to set up GeoMoose to best effect.

Let me know how I can help you.

Bob Basques
612.598.9210

You can't be late until you show up.

You never learn anything by doing it right.

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

>>> James Engfer wrote:

Hi Eli,

I"m glad to hear you are interesting in learning more about GeoMoose. You are correct. Bob Basques would be someone you could start with any questions you may have. I cc'd him on this e-mail so he can help you out if he has the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Thanks

Jim

James P. Engfer
Information Development Section Manager - Office of Technology and Communications

15 West Kellogg Blvd, Room 210
Saint Paul, MN  55102
Ph: 651.266.6763

Cell: 651.328.7132
Fax: 651.266.8689

>>> On 4/26/2010 at 11:25 AM, in message <4BD55BEF.4F75.00CE.0 at co.lincoln.or.us>, "Eli Adam" <EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:

Jim,

    I work as a GIS Analyst for Lincoln County Oregon.  I am investigating GeoMoose for our own use.  I'd like to talk to a peer about some of their experience setting up, configuring, and using GeoMoose?  I was thinking that perhaps Bob Basques would be the proper person to contact but then figured that I would let you first crack or direct my questions.  If you aren't the appropriate person could you forward me onto them?
    I have some experience with MapServer, OpenLayers, GDAL, PostGIS, and other common Open Source GIS tools over the last 6 years or so.  Since I am in Oregon, I work roughly 10 am - 7 pm Central Time.

Thanks, much appreciated and hello from a Native Midwesterner (MI) and loyal A Prairie Home Companion Listener, Eli

Eli L Adam
GIS Analyst
Lincoln County
(541)574-1289