[Geomoose-users] slideshow/tour within GeoMoose

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Jun 14 14:27:33 EDT 2010

Brent,

Jim K. has been looking at how to animate some things for GPS trails and such, I think he has some ideas here.  A generic approach would be beneficial for a number of functions.

Some functionality we're look looking at (or have looked at):

** Animating through multiple (temporal) images (for Weather animations for example).

** Animation of a GPS track, could be images and/or SVG (or some other canvas type thing)

** There was a conversation at one point about adding in some sort of scripting support to GeoMoose that was interpreted on the client.  HTML can update itself for example.

** There was also talk of adding in a History recorder that could allow for replaying a user session.

To date I just use a Flash desktop movie maker for these types of things, It's pretty quick to do too.  There are free ones and pay for,  I like Flashback myself.

Here are a few that I've done recently:

http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/committee/emprep/structures/index.html
(look for "Video Tutorials")

bobb

>>> Brent Fraser <bfraser at geoanalytic.com> wrote:

All,

   If you followed last week's "Layer Functions" thread you know that I used the
GeoMOOSE API to create a "Zoom To Layer Extents" button on the metadata results
page.

   Our marketing guy asked if it would be possible to create a "slide-show" or
"tour" using similar techniques.  At first I thought it would be easy and had
the php return:

var mapWin = window.opener;
var GeoMOOSE = mapWin.GeoMOOSE;

GeoMOOSE.clearPopups();
GeoMOOSE.zoomToExtent(-12711115, 6271185,-12665227, 6309521);
GeoMOOSE.turnLayerOn("Quickbird/Waterton");
GeoMOOSE.addPopup(-12687075, 6290155, 200, 100, "Quickbird Imagery supplied by
Geoanalytic");

wait(3000);

GeoMOOSE.clearPopups();
GeoMOOSE.zoomToExtent(-12702314, 6719493,-12696849, 6724881);
GeoMOOSE.turnLayerOn("Parcels/all");
GeoMOOSE.addPopup(-12701359, 6721881, 200, 100, "Parcels supplied by AltaLIS");

only to find out that Javascript has no wait/sleep/pause function, and in fact
the whole idea is contrary to the async nature of JavaScript.  I did find some
info at http://www.devcheater.com/ outlining the problem, some solutions and
their effect on various browsers.  The best approach looks like using XMLHttp
and server-side scripting to get things to wait, but perhaps there's a better way?

Any thoughts?