[Geomoose-users] Git Questions

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:14:06 EST 2011

> I propose we change it to "We currently have [svn/trac/...] at [sf.net/geomoose.org (http://sf.net/geomoose.org)] and there is a pending ticket to transfer to OSGeo infrastructure."
I think it is a wiki; so go ahead and change it (community collaboration and all that jazz).
> Question regarding git:  How are the projects that are migrating to git supporting people who develop on Windows?

I can speak for the uDig project and GeoTools project.
- for uDig we transitioned first to gitourous and then to github (github because of the documentation for helping newbies is better). We have not had a problem using git command line on windows xp, windows 7 etc... it installs a crazy shell which you can use from the command line in a similar manner as per linux and mac. It also adds the commands to your windows shell; and that has worked fine for me.
- for GeoTools we have a couple of things (since it is a subversion repository)
a) Most of the developers use git-svn
b) A couple are experimenting with an automatically synced github repo; mostly so we can "catch" people forking the project (i.e. the current generation of developers who only know github)
> We've been pondering various distributed version control systems but they seem to pose a larger hurdle to Windows users than SVN (with TortoiseSVN) does.  I know some of us have been using hg-svn with some success and that at least allows offline commits and merges with local branches.
This is one of those epic conversation I have sat through on three project email lists now. Long and short of it is command line git is less confusing then the user interfaces they build on top of it. Thus far I find github a good balance where the command line works; backed up by the web front end where users can download specific documents in raw form (i.e. word docs and so on).

Jody