[Geomoose-users] 2.6 - To Doc? To Purge? To Release?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Apr 12 13:23:15 EDT 2012

Ed and Bob (Bistrais in addition to bobb), Dan, and all,

Thanks for volunteering with documentation writing.  The docs are
generated using sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) which just uses
restructured text which is fairly simple txt files.  You can look at
them here, http://trac.osgeo.org/geomoose/browser/geomoose2/trunk/sphinx-docs/source
 Also, anywhere on the website you can click the 'Show Source' link
under 'This Page'.  Looking at and mimicking the existing files works
fairly well for me.

The general workflow for writing docs is to svn checkout/update, write
the documentation locally, have sphinx  installed and locally build
the documentation, check that it is all correct, create a patch and
attach to a ticket (http://trac.osgeo.org/geomoose/report) or svn
commit, the website will reflect your changes 15 minutes or so after
it is committed.

If you want to use that workflow, I'm available to help offline to get
subversion and sphinx set up in your environment.  If you don't want
to use that workflow, then you can open tickets and just put the
documentation in the ticket and I will convert it to the correct
format and get it on the website.

> Does anyone have an objection to cleaning up the docs to *only* apply to
> 2.6?  My motivation is clarity.  2.6 simplifies installation quite a bit but
> it also deprecates a few functions and I'd rather not have too much "diff
> docing" going on as it can confuse new users.

I thought about this last night as I added strike through to some
changed items.  I'm all for changing trunk and the 2.6 branch to match
those realities.  Previous versions of documentation can live in their
own branches, I think that dedicated version specific documentation is
far better than 'diff docing'.

Looking forward to it, Eli