[Geomoose-users] Changes to mapserver-type layer handling in GM 2.6?

Johan Forsman Johan.Forsman at LA.GOV
Mon Apr 16 21:08:17 EDT 2012

Success!
The fastest method I could think of to test all layers was a bulk Find of "STATUS ON" and Replace with "GROUP 'all'" which indeed allows the layers to display as intended using <layer name="all"/> in the mapbook.
I think this topic needs to be documented front and center in the migration guide as it represents a fundamental change in the way the application works. I am sure there are many instances of legacy GM/MapServer  installations that may require significant retooling to work with the new version, especially if they are not configured to serve WMS already.
Thanks for the tips and for a really great product.
I am curious about Jim's "in the default case"  statement. Does this mean there is a case where the MapServer layers are *not* translated to WMS calls?
Incidentally, I may have discovered a few other items that may not be as intended. If they are not user error, where is appropriate to report them?
Thanks again,
Johan.
From: Bob Basques [mailto:Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us]
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 3:07 PM
To: Jim Klassen; Johan Forsman
Cc: geomoose-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Geomoose-users] Changes to mapserver-type layer handling in GM 2.6?

All (of you),

Just adding the desired layers to a GROUP called "all", should fix things (I think)

bobb

>>> Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com<mailto:klassen.js at gmail.com>> wrote:

It was intentional to migrate to using WMS over the MapServer specific calls in the default case as it eases interoperability with other servers and simplifies the code in many cases.

I don't think it was intentional to loose the layers=all trick (which was implemented inside MapServer not GeoMoose).  Do any of the suggestions in the MapServer ticket referenced by Bob work as a workaround for you?

While 2.6 is near to release, one of the bigger tasks left is finishing up documentation.  Thank you for testing and bring this to our attention.