[Geomoose-users] best way of creating a .map file to display many classes inside a layer

bean bean at warbaby.com
Wed Jul 18 13:38:59 PDT 2012

Hello Bob,

I may see things a little differently here. Perhaps some perspective
might help:

We produce a local machine mapping interface and the data to fill it.
The subject matter is geology, terrain analysis and land
management/ownership. We work with reasonably high resolutions of
about one meter or better in a region of up to 200 square miles per
map.

Geologists are quite familiar with and frequently use maps with as
many as 200 different rock types represented on those maps. We have
taken that and added many more layers - some with similar data
density. No matter what your cartographic viewpoint on these issues
are I can attest that maps with as many as 25 layers and as many as
50 classes per layer can be assembled and used without any confusion
on the part of the user. With thousands of users, ranging from top
professionals to rank amateurs, we have never had a complaint of
confusing presentation of the data.

There is a price to pay for this complexity. I have spent as much as
two months, full time, styling some of these maps. I bring skills
from paper map cartography, graphic arts and advertising that are
very helpful in visualizing and implementing map styling. Personally
I feel these skills should be taught as an integral part of a modern
GIS education.

The keys to producing such complex maps is an understanding of human
visual and mental perception - the same skills that have always been
the stock in trade of accomplished cartographers.  Just presenting
the data by color gradients or stochastic classification will always
create artificial limits to information density.

There are natural upper limits to visual data density. Those limits
are more about the skill of the cartographer and the comfort level of
the user than any hard limits. If it were true that our data had to
be limited to to 12 visual classes we would never have even
considered trying to serve an industry where high data density is the
norm.

The world of cartography did not start when the first map server was
booted and it is not limited to 600 pixel web maps. If digital
mapping is to survive and thrive we who drive the development of the
form need to expand beyond a world view that is limited to a gif
colorset and coarse visual representations of the real world being
described. In my view the goal of excellence in mapping can not be
divorced from the technical aspects of creating those maps.

Just one man's opinion.