[Geomoose-users] Re: Just went through the incubation committee meeting log.

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:48:12 EDT 2012

In your meeting can you guys try reviewing 3 or 4 files and report back to your email list?

I was going to add some examples to the FAQ page; but it seriously is just supposed to be a quick manual inspection to confirm the headers are in place.

You could even use grep to hunt down 10% that don't have any headers or something and start there?

I can offer some guidence when you run into a trouble…

Here are some examples:

1) http://geomoose.org/_sources/index.txt

The source code for your website should have the (c) somewhere (only need the license if you are offering it to people). For example GeoTools offers their docs under creative commons by attribution if people want to quote it (http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/welcome/license.html).

2) MIT based license

You are running your own license here (http://geomoose.org/info/license.html) as such do you need it recognised by OSI? Or is MIT based enough?

If you want we can ask the incubation committee - or you can just decide and tell us how it is :-)

3) Um where is the source code? There is no link from your home page or download page - do you make a download of the source available for each release? Ah I found it by trial and error ...

4) License - it is clear and in the root of the source code

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/LICENSE

5) So let me try a couple of files ..

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/art/readme.txt

- amazing the first project I have found that actually lists its images etc off the bat (usually this is one of the first things raised in a review)

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/Makefile.in
- that will want a header on it

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/htdocs/php/download.php
- most files seem fine (but you can go through them all and confirm that)

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/htdocs/php/fpdi/fpdi.php
- this is an interesting one with an apache license background - something to note as part of your review (that is compatible with your MIT style license or do you need to say source code under MIT style with select contributions available under an Apache license etc…?)

http://svn.osgeo.org/geomoose/geomoose2/trunk/htdocs/css/common.css
- often people avoid headers on their css (and other size sensitive files) you may want to make a note of it in your review or place a readme somewhere in here explaining what license the CSS files are provided under?

Etc…

So if you assemble a work part you can power through this stuff in an afternoon; you will be left with only a few things worth talking about.

--
Jody Garnett