[Geomoose-users] OSGeo Incubation progress

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu May 10 06:36:48 EDT 2012

This discussion is moving along at a great rate; could we capture the "answers" in a wiki page as they are sorted out? I am really keen to get through this promptly; and we can ask for any feedback in Monday's incubation meeting.
> >  In any case, our docs are "open".  I think OSGeo's main concern is preventing things like (past versions of) numpy that had free code, but no docs, unless you paid.
> >

> So at least you and I think that we should license our docs under our existing code license. In all cases, they are certainly 'open'.
If you have this sorted; I am interested in writing down what is in place today. We can always hunt down someone with more experience if we need guidance on where to go tomorrow.
> > Is the #geomoose IRC room archived somewhere?
> >

> No. I have some logs locally on various computers but have made no
> attempt to really log it. If the channel is active, we could ask Gary
> Sherman to send his bot and post the archives as he kindly does for
> some other OSGeo Projects.

We post the geotools logs to a blog or something whenever we have a formal IRC meeting.
Indeed the most popular way to end a meeting was to offer to post the logs.

> > > More than Incubation, this could really help us.  I have some mediocre
> > > ideas on this (like bash/curl/diff/etc to make autotests), if others
> > > have good ideas, I'd be interested in pursuing that.
> > >

> > The "hard" part is what I'd really like to automatically test is the JavaScript part across multiple browsers.  Is there such a thing as a build-bot for a browser based app?
Consider focusing on what you do for testing today?

Minimal:
- Make an experimental release (often called release candidate) and ask the community to test for a week. if they don't complain loud enough publish it as the release.

Manual:
- a couple of sample data sets are put through their paces manually. Often this is a good approach if you have training material, or installation guides to start from.

Maximal:
- conformance tests provided by a third part (example OGC "Cite" tests available for several of their web services; and possibly some clients)