[Geomoose-users] WMS and Identify

Anderson, Dean anderson.dean at co.polk.or.us
Wed Jan 23 12:08:50 PST 2013

I have been trying to make the identify service work with a WMS over the
last few days.

This is what I have found and I would like to verify that what I found is
correct.

You CAN identify a WMS feature using basic calls in mapbook.xml.
 However, it appears from review of the identify.php (always a shot in the
dark for me) that the identify service is hardwired to only display
attributes if your WMS includes 'gml_include_items' metadata reference
(this is what you need in the mapserver mapfile for identify to display
attributes in GeoMoose).  Mapserver displays other info_formats such as
text/html  just fine that can be consumed by other products like ArcMap.

Other info_formats such as "text/html" do not work and will not reference
the TEMPLATE file that can be used with MapServer.

Please refer to line 179 of the identify.php file and you will see that the
services is called with an "&INFO_FORMAT=application/vnd.ogc.gml".

This may explain why Identify does not work with many WMS's.

Given my lack of understanding of GML, PHP, and MapServer I wanted to
verify if this is really how the identify service works. If this is so, I
will submit a ticket to enhance identify so that the services will
recognize other info_formats and allow us to take advantage of the template
file.

In addition, I found a small bug on line 208 where $splitPos-1 should only
be $splitPos (it was not including the last character of my feature title
string).

Thanks - if I have this messed up please let me know.

--
Dean R Anderson
IT Director