[Geomoose-users] Estimating tile size

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jan 29 11:25:11 PST 2013

Paul,

The fastest approach has and seems to still be using MapServer to generate the tiles, via a script.  Jim K. has even verified this within the last couple of weeks, since he tried improving on the original system we used here and came back to it in the end with some minor upgrades.

It doesn't really matter how you get there, even if it takes a little longer.  I think there are some MapServer utilities that we used originally on this layer.  You may want to experiment for yourself on what works best for what.

Also, in our experience, we've had best results using Jpeg (NOT JPEG2000!!) for aerials and PNGs for overlay tiles.

Bobb