[Geomoose-users] Services abstraction, what's the status of this?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jun 12 11:59:42 PDT 2013

All,

So, I'm setting up a new install of GeoMoose (among other things, read on) and wondering about where the services abstraction ideas are currently at?  While I know PHP is popular, I much prefer PERL for the services side of things.

I would like to use PERL in place of PHP for example.  I just want the option of using another language.  I know this has been talked about in the recent past and I guess I'm looking harder at it now.

So,

*          Where in the release cycle is this capability at?

*          Should I (we) progress this internally first and then just pass back to GeoMoose as a pass fail sort of endeavor for inclusion in GeoMoose, or . . .

*          Put out a spec and ask for bids here?, or . . . ???

I also have some more stuff coming down the line, but figured I would start with the above first to get a conversation going here.

Future stuff:

*          Feature updating (PUSH) from a service.  (IE. GPS point Tracking, and Weather overlays)

*          Alternate map Views (spawning service from GeoMoose) for OpenLayers and 3D(HTML5) constructs, and other reporting packages . . .

*          Old timey (City of Saint Paul) Popup capabilities (some of the GeoMoose developers know what I'm talking about here) or something very close.

*          Addition of a optional service side (server component) construct for handling of feature editing in GeoMoose.  I know this is a whole new side of things, and it can become it's own thing if need be, project wise.  I haven't started this here yet, but it's next after AVL has settled down. See next item

*          Addition of a AVL (location tracking) service (server component).  I actually have this well on it's way already and am wondering about how to integrate it with GeoMoose as well as put the project out as OpenSource, and with GeoMoose or on it's own as a companion piece.  Does it make and sense to put it under the GeoMoose project umbrella, or should it be it's own  thing?  My vote is to add it to GeoMoose in some form.

Thanks