[Geomoose-users] Services abstraction, what's the status of this?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jun 12 14:26:13 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Bistrais, Bob <Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov> wrote:
> Not exactly.  We are still in the planning stages with regard to feature editing.  All we know for sure is that we will see a demand for it.  We haven't yet tried the WFS-T approach (another item on my to-do list).  We don't have GeoServer implemented at this time.  As you've seen from me in the past, we are not allowed to have PostGIS (per IT department policy).  So those are my major restrictions.

Ah, right.  I recently noticed that the FeatureServer website has been
polished up, http://featureserver.org/ and that SpatialLite is now a
supported WFS-T backend.  This could be convenient for mobile or
offline connections as well.

> So with that in mind, I would entertain different options for feature editing which would work within my stipulations.  Conceivably, we could use WFS-T with our ESRI back end, although they sometimes seem to have their own version of "open standards" and "interoperability".

My understanding is that sometimes the ESRI defaults don't make it
easy to implement OGC standards well, but that there is a way to
eventually do it (sometimes with hurdles or non-intuitive
requirements).  The OGC has a listing here,
http://www.opengeospatial.org/resource/products/details/?pid=868

HTH, Eli