[Geomoose-users] Adding functionality to GeoMoose, preferred method to start??

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jun 25 11:10:16 PDT 2013

Bob,

Looking at, http://www.geomoose.org/developer/contribute.html it seems
that a discussion on the list with sufficient technical detail for
people to evaluate might be a good way to start.

Depending on the discussion, it could be determined to be a trivial
addition and not need significant discussion, perhaps just a ticket,
it could be determined to be somewhat substantial but largely in
keeping with past GeoMoose design and a simple list vote may suffice,
it could also be determined to be so substantial or a significant
departure from previous design that indeed an RFC will be required.

A wiki page might be better than an email thread to iteratively revise
and add detail to a proposal.  So whether you make a wiki page or not
is really up to what you think is the best way to keep a complex topic
coherent and accessible.  It seems that might be a good way to start
and then based on list discussion, it may need to become an RFC or
ticket.

Your alternative method of building a proof of concept and then seeing
is an option as well.  The drawback to that is that you do a bunch of
work which then people might want you to redo a different way or may
not want at all.  The benefit is that you will have a working thing
that you can point to so you are immune to "that's impossible" or
"that will be too slow" arguments.  Some people need to basically do a
proof of concept even if just for themselves before they can start a
sufficiently technical discussion on the list anyway.

Whatever it is, you will want to coordinate with the RFC-5 results if
that will impact your work and since that is an approved pending RFC.
You already made an inquiry to this list about the status of RFC-5,
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geomoose-users/2013-June/004986.html.
 Brian, Andrew, can you respond to that?

Those are my thoughts.  We might want to add this to the agenda of
this week's PSC meeting too.

Best Regards, Eli